Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Walk a Mile in My Shoes...the ones with the orthotic inserts

I changed the topic of my post based on a story I saw on the news. A young female reporter received a negative email from a viewer who told her she was a bad role model because she was overweight. She responded very well, I thought, basically saying that he knows nothing about her other than her outward appearance, and so should not judge. 
 It made me think of all the things people have said to me over the years, reminded me of the looks and giggles that I still get.  You would not believe the things people feel free to say. My favorite is the lady in the mall, no petite flower herself, who walked up to me and said "Have you ever thought about getting gastric bypass? It’s just that you have such a pretty face".  My response was first asking if she knew me.  She didn't.  Then I asked if she said that kind of thing to every overweight stranger or just the ones she felt had pretty faces, and therefore must somehow be redeemable.  Well, no, she just thought she would be helpful.  I am afraid it snowballed downhill rather quickly after that, ending in the poor thing scurrying, nay running, away from me in the mall as I shouted after her "So I guess that thing about fat people being jolly is just a myth!"
 Did I overreact? Yeah, probably so. Do I wish I could apologize to her? No, not really. My physical health was none of her business. Her comments didn't help - they just made me angry. Angry at her and at the person I'd let myself become. I am basically a happy person, but being morbidly obese made maintaining that happiness pretty freaking hard.  Just typing the words "morbidly obese" makes me cringe. Knowing you are in that state is one thing, facing it and taking action is another.  It really is a vicious cycle. You need to exercise, but you're exhausted and your knees hurt. Then you get down because you didn't exercise, so you eat to feel better. Even though you know it won't make you feel better. 
 So how do you break that cycle?  I did it by finding a wellness program that seemed to fit me - fit my personality, my schedule, my budget, so that there would be no excuses. Then I dove in headfirst. That may not work for everyone. You have to be truthful with yourself, set goals you can achieve. If you feel overwhelmed, start small. But whatever you decide to do, just start.  And even more importantly, don't give up. You will have days where you follow your plan to the letter, and days where you don't.  That is normal.  Just see the end result and keep at it. 
 And one more thing, then I promise I will get off my very sturdy, steel-reinforced soapbox: when you see someone who is severely overweight, don't judge.  You don't know what they are going through unless you've been that way too.  

4 comments:

  1. Oh Suzan, I just know I am going to thoroughly enjoy reading your trials and rewards! So motivating for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janice, I'm so glad you like it. Writing it has really helped me too - it is very cathartic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is it wrong that I would just LOOOOOOVE to see you go off on someone like that? Truth be told, it's so easy to be superficial; it seems to be ingrained in us, thanks to societal "norms". It takes a much stronger person to squash those thoughts and think about the person inside, the person you don't know, who's going through their own person journey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The first thing that came to mind starts with a capital WT...HECK. Baxter would like to mark a leg. All joking aside...Suzan, you ROCK! Takes guts to be brave have the courage to be real.

    ReplyDelete