Monday, October 1, 2012

Veggie Burgers- Delicious Treat or Crime Against Nature?

I grew up on a cattle farm. I am without a doubt a carnivore.  However when I started my wellness program, I knew I had to find a suitable fill-in for red meat. Not a replacement - I have found many ways to work beef into my plan- but I did need to find a good substitute to eat on occasion. So I asked all my vegetarian and vegan friends about veggie burgers, and got many suggestions. Some good, some bad, some really, really bad. Seriously, really, really bad.

 Luckily I did find one brand that is delicious - Guiltless Gourmet.  However, if you are looking for a true burger taste and consistency, these are probably not for you. These veggie burgers are more like a crispy vegetable souffle.  I would be interested to hear if anyone out there has found one that actually tastes burger-like.  And FYI- I am allergic to soy, so tofu is out.  And even if I weren't allergic to soy, tofu would still be out.  Way, way out.

4 comments:

  1. When we had our anniversary BBQ earlier this year, some of our friends (NOT Babs) brought over a box of Boca burgers...and then left the ones they didn't eat. They sat in our freezer, taking up space, until I got desperate one day. And...when doused in BBQ sauce and covered with bacon & cheese...they're mildly tolerable. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't I just the eat the "cheese-covered bacon doused in BBQ sauce" part?

      Delete
    2. You could...and it would be like 50 fewer calories without that craptastic fake-meat-thing in there, so yeah...better idea. :D

      Delete
  2. So, Suzan on a serious note here why do they not want you to eat meat? Is that out totally or are you just trying to cut down on red meats or all meats or...?

    ReplyDelete