Wednesday, October 17, 2012

It Takes A Village...And Some of the Villagers Have Pitchforks

This week is my one year anniversary on my wellness program. I initially told no one except my mother that I was starting Fit Life.  Since I'd been down this path before, I was fearful of failure and fearful of others' expectations. Then the pounds started to fall off.  My confidence grew, and I slowly told more and more people. The program encourages you to do just that - the more people who know what you're trying to accomplish, the better.  Not only so you can get advice and encouragement, but also for the accountability factor.  I will tell you that not everyone has been positive.  Back-handed compliments of the "Gee you don't sweat much for a fat girl" type abound.  You have to ignore all that. Or do like I do, which is tell the naysayers to just plant one on my ever-diminishing hind end.
So I've gone from telling one person to putting it all out there in this blog. As my confidence grows, so does my need to talk about my process.  In fact, I can't seem to stop talking about it. I just feel so fantastic (I'm reasonably sure I will have super powers by the time I get to my goal weight).  Of course, not everyone is that interested. To the lady in the grocery store who asked me if pita chips were good, please accept my apology for the 5 minute infomercial on how tasty they are with Laughing Cow cheese.  And to the gentleman at the gym who asked how I was doing, I'm guessing by the way you slowly backed up that you didn't really want that much detail on how much I can leg press. 
So no longer fearful, just extraordinarily thankful for the support I get every day.  And to all those who have helped me over the past year, from my wonderful family, friends and coworkers, to my trainer Kaly and nutritionist David, and the rest of the great folks at Cox Fitness Centers, right down to the wait staff at all the restaurants who put up with my "no cheese, no croutons, no butter, dressing on the side, extra lemons please" special instructions on every order, thank you, thank you, thank you. 
But you aren't off the hook yet because it's not over - I'm hoping a year from now, this blog will read "Today I reached my goal weight".  Followed shortly thereafter by an invitation to a huge party, where I will happily serve pita chips and Laughing Cow cheese... no croutons, no butter, dressing on the side, and extra lemons.    

3 comments:

  1. I am extremely excited for this party...and I am also willing to go shopping with you for the perfect "Look how f-ing smokin' hot I am!" dress for said party. I will also help you unwrap all the tiny Laughing Cow wedges, if necessary...and I even promise not to lick them. :D

    So proud of you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am laughing hilariously...and crying too because I know what you're saying...sad thing is my MOM is the one who dishes out the negative and that is one of the hardest things to take. So happy for you and need more info about the program you're using and if you have any clue whether there might be one similar in Alaska?

    ReplyDelete
  3. So incredibly proud of you! Can't wait to party!

    ReplyDelete